Our Kitchen Leaders are responsible for the entire kitchen operation. They have the vital role of ensuring that the kitchen is run in accordance with company and legal guidelines, and that we deliver the perfect plate every time. This role is for someone who enjoys managing and developing kitchen teams to deliver the very best food, drink and hospitality to our guests and take pride in serving the perfect plate. Critical to this role’s success is upskilling their understudy to be able to uphold their high standards in their absence.
Ways of Working and Business Expectations :
We need our leaders to be hands-on, positive & adaptable to doing things differently in order build guest loyalty, drive sales, control costs and support & develop a dynamic team, all the while keeping channels of communication open to their line manager. All leadership roles within our business require firm operational discipline with an entrepreneurial and commercial outlook; and also requires significant capability, the appropriate can-do attitude and focus on the following key performance indicators (these are non-exhaustive but illustrate the priorities in our business)
Health & Safety compliance and delivery of all legislative and best practice guidelines (including those relating to Covid 19) is of prime importance in our business and we are to operate safely for our teams and guests and the management team will be fully responsible for the compliance thereof. It is 100% the responsibility of the General Manager and Head Chef to operate safely and to train and induct their teams to operate safely.
Role description & specification:
- Accurate and disciplined forecasting of rotas weekly which need to be submitted to the Chief Operating Officer (COO) on time and as agreed and which fall within budgeted hours vs sales.
- Weekly accurate stock takes and payroll submissions to be completed on a Sunday night and sent to the relevant departments for weekending closing procedure. These are to be accompanied by thorough and coherent analysis of the results for the week along with priorities for the coming week and actions to address any discrepancies or on any KPIs which failed to meet the expected level of performance.
- Daily approval and committing of actual hours worked by the team at cash out so that each day is committed to the payroll system and which has no changes made after submission / closing / approval. This KPI is also linked to clock in and out procedure which is to be followed 100% and without fail
- Daily wastage recording and reporting is required in order to control shrinkage within the business.
- Management team shifts will be approved by the COO and Group Executive Chef respectively weekly upon forecast submission. The business expects each General Manager and Head Chef to work at peak trading times throughout the business week i.e. if sales are highest at weekends then we expect General Manager and Head Chef present at these shifts. In the case where weekends are at highest trading levels, the business expects the General Manager and Head Chef to work those shifts and therefore expects the management team to work every alternate weekend as a minimum requirement but also at month end to complete the month end functions and to submit the financials on that day.
- To be able to regenerate and grow our business we need leaders who are autonomous and who are capable of being 100% responsible for each and every aspect of their businesses, meaning that they carry with them an ‘owner-operator’ mentality but remain very much accountable to their line manager. The General Manager and Head Chef should be in contact with their line manager regularly in order to update on successes and challenges within the business.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Leads by example in all areas of product knowledge, consistency, timings, presentation and quality
- Ensure that the kitchen opens, operates and closes to the required standards
- Demonstrating full commitment to food and menu knowledge, routinely achieves all company standards
- Maintains a fully stocked kitchen, with produce, food or other, received from suppliers that meets the required specifications.
- Effective pass and service management, prep controls line checks and tastings.
- Implement all food initiatives as directed by Group Executive Chef including promotional items and new menu items
- Understand and uphold the ‘Guest Allergy’ steps of service and procedures to protect guests when dining.
- To work in unison with the General Manager to ensure a high standard of kitchen and floor operation.
- Work as a team with front of house, back of house and management teams, as well as colleagues from across the group.
- Demonstrate a hands-on approach to the kitchen operation by carrying out all roles throughout the week and actioning observations.
- Assist the General Manager in completion of all onsite audits and associated action plans or objectives.
Health and Safety:
- Ensures the management team are knowledgeable and held accountable for their responsibilities with regards to health, safety and hygiene.
- Effective use of FACT and FLOW as tools to ensure health, safety and food hygiene practices are upheld.
- Protect the team, guest and business by ensuring compliance with any and all city, national and legal requirements.
- Accountable for all Health & Safety legal compliance including legally required HACCP, COSSH training/risk assessment adherence and equipment maintenance (internal and external)
- Ensures the building structure and all equipment therein is well presented, clean and in good working order at all times
- Takes actions improve gross profit on food by monitoring sales, controlling portions, minimising wastage and monitoring sales.
- Works with the General Manager to schedule kitchen labour within budget without compromising service.
- Manages all operational costs without compromising service or company standards.
- Accurately reports all financial information as required according to deadlines, actively seeking to interpret and offer analysis of the figures.
- Actively seeks out and uses guest feedback to identify any performance management needs and or product development opportunities.
- Pre-empts negative feedback and resolves all guest queries and complaints, by ensuring the complaints handling process is applied
- Ensures all guest feedback is shared with the team and learnt from by way of performance management and or training
- Drives employee engagement in the team by applying company and local initiatives designed to sustain team productivity and retention.
- Follow company procedures in relation to absence management, performance management and discipline, and ensure supervisors and front of house team and kitchen leaders are also applying the required standards
- Support the General Manager and training champion to host group or individual training sessions in order to maintain high levels of knowledge and skills in the team
- Ensure training records are maintained and compliance training is completed in the required timeframe.
- Support succession planning by developing kitchen team members, particularly the ‘number two’, to be able to uphold the required standards in the absence of the Kitchen Leader.
- Actively participate in the recruitment for the restaurant, ensuring adherence to process at all times, including the required right to work checks.
- Ensure team members reach their full potential through leading by example, regular training, development and performance management.
- Actively manages and ensures completion of all daily/weekly cleaning schedules to the required standard
- Carries out regular performance feedback meetings with team members at all levels including probationary and annual reviews
- Carry out routinely the daily, weekly and monthly team meetings, ensuring a positive contribution by all team members.
- Ensure accurate and timely communication of any information to all relevant departments at all times.
- This job description is not exhaustive, and is only a representation of the duties of the role.
Successful individuals will be able to display attitude, behaviours, skills as follows:
- An excellent working knowledge of Comptoir’s food and beverage product and service standards
- Excellent food production skills including ability to work the grill
- Ability to influence and ensure delivery of all company brand standards
- Experience of upholding legal requirements of the operation as well as changing practices in response to ever changing H&S guidelines
- Well presented with excellent written and spoken English
- Must hold a valid Level 3 CIEH (or equivalent) in Food Hygiene and execute to this standard consistently
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in leading food production / kitchen
- High level of financial awareness and experience of analysing and driving results
- Good working knowledge of Fourth, Microsoft programmes, and EPOS software/hardware
- Proven ability to execute people management procedures with confidence
- Ability to work independently as well as manage and delegate to a diverse team
All Head Chefs will be required to work 48 hours, made up of 4 x 12 hours shifts per week or 5 x 9 hours shifts per week. Such shift patterns will be pre-agreed based on-site needs with the Chief Operating Officer. It will be a requirement for all General Managers and Head Chefs to work no less than 2 weekends in every calendar month.
To apply, send your CV and covering letter to Falgun Dalwadi at: email@example.com